Monday, January 23, 2012

Week 12 Ironman Coeur d'Alene Training

Yesterday I woke to howling winds, mid thirty degree weather and a three hour ride on my training schedule. Normally this would have been an obvious choice to jump on my trainer and enjoy a few movies while pedaling away. The problem was that I am (already) sick of working out inside and knew I wouldn't be able to really push myself and get a good workout in. I talked my husband into heading to REI to buy toe covers
These things really did help keep my feet fairly warm. We left for our ride from REI and rode down to Chatfield Reservoir.
The first half of the ride was really fun and it was only breezy.
The second half was honestly miserable, it was very gusty. It was difficult to keep my bike up right, I was scared about being pushed off the path a couple times. But I was happy to get it done!
This weeks focus is recovery so workouts are much fewer than normal and this week, I'll take it!
Monday Rest day
Tuesday am: 60 min Interval Run pm: 60 min strength training
Wednesday am: 120 min spin class and 60 min pilates
Thursday 2700m swim
Friday 60 min easy yoga or pilates
Saturday 35-45 mile hill bike workout, I really hope the weather holds so we can be outside and 30 min transition run
Sunday 10 mile trail run, hopefully on a trail
Do you take easy or recovery weeks while training?
I never have in the past but now I am trying to incorporate them into my training. It's very important to me to avoid injuries if at all possible in 2012!

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on that stellar bike ride. Gotta love toe Warmers. You're tough for staying on that bike. Definitely take advantage of recovery weeks. Tho I've never trained as much as you. But I do think those weeks help with injury prevention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will thank yourself for the windy ride in the future because harsh conditions always make you better.

    Recovery week is a necessity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job on the ride! Enjoy the recovery week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh, I hate the wind so much on the bike! enjoy your recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the blue sky - even if it was freezing cold, it was beautiful! I agree with Christi, you will be glad you got out there in the wind. Who knows what race day will bring so you might as well train in whatever weather comes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are super cute! :) (trust me, that makes a big difference in training!) Congrats on a great ride and enjoy the recovery!

    ReplyDelete