Thursday, November 10, 2011

Healthy Butternut Squash Soup

Since it is officially soup season I thought I would share one of my favorites. My mom made this for me and I really like it so I have adopted it as one of my own.


(source)

Ingredients:
4 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large shallots, peeled and halved
1 (1/2-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger, thinly sliced
2 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons (1-inch) slices fresh chives Cracked black pepper

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Combine first 5 ingredients in a roasting pan Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Cool 10 minutes.
3. Place half of squash mixture and half of broth in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. (I prefer to use an immersion blender directly in the pot). Pour into a large saucepan. Repeat procedure with remaining squash mixture and broth. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Top with chives and pepper, if desired.


Nutrition Information: (serving size is 2/3 cup)
Calories: 112
Fat: 2.5 g

This meal is best enjoyed with a Golden doodle in your face or lap.

This is Zoey, one of my parents dog

Do you have any soup recipes you love and want to share??


3 comments:

  1. That soup looks delicious! I'll have to try it out, as it is good soup weather now! I love lentil soup, and it's so easy to make, plus you can always try new things with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love butternut squash soup! I make mine with sweet potatos, carrots, onions, cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and veggie broth! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favs is this "cream" of mushroom and barley soup from eating well. If I'm in a vegan mood I don't use butter and I sub the sour cream for blended silk tofu. But it's my go to winter warming soup.
    Mmmm!

    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/cream_of_mushroom_barley_soup.html

    ReplyDelete