Now that the weather is cooling down, I am happy to add some cool weather favorites to normal rotation. Full disclosure that we did have a record high of 82 degrees today in Denver, but it still really cool at night. One recipe that I would love to share is mexican chicken soup, it's warm and full of flavor.
- 1 tbl olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 quart (32 oz) chicken broth
- 1-1/4 lb plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 4.5 oz can green chilies
- 1 15 oz can hominy, drained, or 2 c frozen corn
- 2 c shredded cooked chicken (two breasts)
- 1/3 c chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 ripe, pitted and sliced avocado
- 1 lime, cut in wedges
- In large pot cook onion, garlic and jalapeno in olive oil for about 5 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add chili powder, oregano and cumin; cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, chiles, hominy. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add chicken and simer for 10 minutes more.
- Stir in cilantro and server; garnishing with the avocado slices and lime wedges.
Tonight I am off to bed early after working this morning. I hope to get a good 40-50 mile bike ride in tomorrow before a fun family fall fest (also known as dinner at my parents house). What are your plans for tomorrow?