Wednesday, October 26, 2011

15 hour training week - here goes!

I realized I haven’t been good about posting my plan for the week or reporting back about what actually got done. Last spring/summer I always missed one or two scheduled workouts. This fall I am determined not to let that happen as often. The mantra is “just get it done”.

So this week’s schedule looks like:

Monday: 45 min of PT exercises and abs
Tuesday: 6 mile run and 60 min of PT exercises
Wednesday: 90 min spin and 45 min of PT exercises and abs
Thursday: 60 min pool workout, 2 mile recovery run with Pug (don’t want him getting too rolly polly) and PT!
Friday: 5 mile tempo run and 45 min of PT exercises and abs

Saturday: 40-50 mile bike ride and 45 min of PT exercises and abs

Sunday: 7 mile trail run and a recovery swim and PT

Total hours planned: approx. 15 hours (and this feel like a lot, how will I survive ironman training?)

Here is how last week went:
Monday: Rest Done!

Tuesday: 60 min. strength Done
Wednesday: 90 min spin Done

Thursday: 5 mile run finish with plyos run done, no ploys but I did do my PT

Friday: 60 min pool workout Done - so nice the pook was empty

Saturday: 6 mile trail run (this will be so nice, it's been a long time since I have been out on the trails) Turned into a 4 mile run, I wasn't feeling well =(

Sunday: 40-50 mile bike ride 40 miles done, felt great and added a bonus swim!


Overall hours: 12.5 hours - this is including 30-45 min of PT exercises everyday

Overall I am pleased about how things are progressing but can’t wait until I can start working on speed!!

At work today we had a health fair, I love this kind of stuff and wasted over an hour talking to different booths. I tried a foot bath thing that is supposed to pull out your toxins, the lady said I had a lot of inflammation and way too much caffeine. Now I am the biggest skeptic of this kind of stuff but I do have a bit of a coffee addiction: Also I have read about giving up caffeine while training for big events but nothing conclusive. I found this on the RICE website, full article can be found here.


Despite considerable research in this area, the role of caffeine as a performance enhancing drug is still controversial. Some of the data are conflicting, which is in part due to how the experimental studies were designed and what methods were used. However, there is general agreement in a few areas: Caffeine does not appear to benefit short term, high intensity exercise (eg. sprinting)Caffeine can enhance performance in endurance sports. Glycogen is the principal fuel for muscles and exhaustion occurs when it is depleted. A secondary fuel, which is much more abundant, is fat. As long as there is still glycogen available, working muscles can utilize fat. Caffeine mobilizes fat stores and encourages working muscles to use fat as a fuel. This delays the depletion of muscle glycogen and allows for a prolongation of exercise. The critical time period in glycogen sparing appears to occur during the first 15 minutes of exercise, where caffeine has been shown to decrease glycogen utilization by as much as 50%.


So what’s your take? Do/would you give up caffeine?

5 comments:

  1. I am not a big caffeine user, I dont like coffee or tea, but when I use it for training or racing, I feel it, maybe because I dont have it everyday

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a Starbucks addict but I always get Decaf so the caffeine is not nearly as much as full caf beverage. But I don't want to give even that up!

    Congrats on a great week of training!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am totally a coffee addict, and would never give up caffeine. Feel free to judge away ;)

    Nice work this week - you were able to get in a lot of great workouts!

    Question - does your pugster really make it 2 miles? How did you start that? I feel like mine would barely make it 1/2 mile, but he could use the exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so far behind on your blog! We just got back from a little trip to the mountains; I love the snow here. :)

    I am a diet Dr. Pepper addict and I will probably never give that up. I just can't!

    Looks like you've had a busy week, I need to start posting workouts on my blog too, so I can keep track of them.
    PS-THREE swims this week? Wow...I am lucky to get one in, I hate swimming so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last year I did a cleanse and totally gave up caffiene. Afterwards I did not start up on the caffiene again until one day I did a long run and had a gel with caffiene in it....maybe even 2x caffiene. I totally noticed a difference after taking in the caffiene...zooooom!

    ReplyDelete