I also blame my lack of preparation and recovery to my extreme soreness. So I present to you how not to prepare and recover from a race.
How not to prepare:
1. Plan your race for the day after a family funeral so you can have an emotionally taxing day, have a weird eating schedule and stand around in heels all day.
Source *these are not my feet!
2. Don’t drink much water and have a whiskey toast the night before.
3. Stay the night far away from the race start so your alarm has to be set for 3:15 am the day of the race
4. Drive for 2 and a half hours before the race
5. Don’t research the race AT ALL before running so you have no pacing strategy
Then once you have so wisely prepared for the race go and push for that PR anyway, why not?!?!
How not to recover:
1. Have no plan for after the race, drink only a little water but hurry to your car so you can call your family and let them know you are still alive.
2. Think about buying a bag of ice to take an ice bath at the hotel but think it’s much wiser not to.
3. Don’t bring compression gear so obviously you can’t wear any.
4. Wait about five hours before refueling and include beer in that.
5. Wear heels around for most of the day to give your legs even more work to do
So now I have extra work to do to bring my legs back to life and avoid injury. I will use some of my favorite recovery tools:
1. Foam rolling twice a day
What are some of your favorite ways to recover?