Thursday, February 17, 2011

Boston Changes

I read a lot of blogs of fast runners, of runners who have or will qualify for the Boston Marathon (EMZ, Shut Up and Run, Skinny Runner, Run With Jill, Hungry Runnner Girl, Amanda from Runninghood, Etc.). I am a slow runner, I don’t think I will ever be fast although I am getting faster. I am running my first marathon this May and my main goal is to finish in less than 5 hours (my not so super secret goal is to finish around 4:20, I have been running my long runs at an average of 10:40 ish) So when I saw this article saying that Boston was lowering their qualifying times I was only slightly interested. Sure I would like to qualify for Boston one day but it’s just not on my radar. I did look up my qualifying time 3:35 ( that means around 8:12 mm), I could pull that off for a 5k but not a marathon. Bottom line is that for me 5 minutes isn’t going to stop me from qualifying, more like an hour will. But for those who it does effect, what do you think? Did you think BQing was too easy, or are your chances now shot?

3 comments:

  1. I just think: everyone was born with different genetics. Yes, you CAN train yourself to run faster, and personally I think we are capable of SO much more than we think we are. Granted, it requires you to take your training to an entirely different level as I did when I finally BQ'd (I had 14 minutes to spare so I'd GUESS if I got my fat self back into that shape again I could get into Boston ok. But the heel's not going to allow that). But we can't ALL BQ if we wanted to, and we have our parents to thank for that.

    What I find fascinataing is finding out. I went from a 4:17 marathon (well, that time isn't really precise because I was puking on the side of the road at mile 18 on the hilliest marathon on the planet (Big Sur)) in April to a 3:45 in October. I knew I could BQ (4-hours) but I never in a million years thought I could run that fast.

    Are you doing the 10-miler this weekend? Good luck if so!!! Ryan thought about doing it but he was sick with a lung infection for a week and missed track and school and got so behind on school work so I told him no. Good luck if you are! Looks like good-ish weather! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same as you...definitely not fast. I think the fastest I've ever run is a 10:40 mile (and that was a downhill 10k) so Boston is totally out of the picture for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am on the cusp of being able to train to qualify. With the new rules even if I qualified I would probably not get in. But...I personally think the new registration makes sense and I support it! It's more like getting into Kona - it's all about the # of slots, not your time! And let's face it - any one who races has a hard time disagreeing that faster is better :)

    ReplyDelete