Friday, January 7, 2011

Things I learned last year:

First off I am a bit sad that this guy will be leaving tonight

Colby, my brothers golden retriever has been staying with is this week while Erik (My brother is single and a runner, just sayin….) is out of town. I love Colby, he is the sweetest dog ever and I will miss having him. But onto things I have learned the hard way this year:

1. DON’T compete physically with your husband, he will win, improve quicker than you and it will make you VERY cranky.
2. Ice is very important, don’t skip it EVER
3. You can get up at 4:20am to work out, just do it.
4. You don’t have to dry your hair or look presentable when going to work, but you will be cold.
5. Weight training is very important to keep up to avoid injury (at least for me)
6. swimming a mile plus in a pool is boring
7. You can’t eat whatever you want just because you’re training for a marathon. It’s hard to burn 600 calories but REALLY easy to eat 600 calories.

What have you learned the hard way?

Some people have asked me some questions so I will address them here:
Jess asked if these were my horses.

I WISH, but no, they belong to Sunriver resort. You can take sleigh rides in the winter and take trail rides in the summer. It is my dream to someday have some property and have horses and goats. Maybe when I retire.

Jess also asked where the Oregon Badlands are. They are in central Oregon, about 25 miles east of Bend Oregon.

Kristin asked how I found my lean body mass. I have this hand held body fat analyzer to calculate my % body fat. It’s not super accurate but it’s something to work from. I then multiplied my weight by my percent lean mass. Example: I weigh 142 pounds, have 24% body fat so my lean mass is 76%. So I multiplied 142 by .76 to find my lean mass is 107.92 lbs. Does that make sense?

Betsy and J.L. asked about a club to support each other trying to get to our race weight. There isn’t a club but maybe there should be, ideas?

Amanda asked what time I go to bed so I can get up at 4:20 in the morning. I try to go to bed at 8:30, but usually don’t end up in bed until after 9. I don’t have kids so I can set my own schedule.

Whew, did I miss any?? Happy Friday lovelies!

5 comments:

  1. We love the horses at Sunriver! The ponies, too. The little girl cousins ride them every summer on our family trip there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wt training also makes you a faster, more efficient runner :). I hate that men recovery quicker...like being faster isn't enough!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Beth! You rock. Loved this post. Do you ice after every workout? Um, yeah, my kids are in bed by 8 or 8:30 so that is when the ME time STARTS. :) Hard to want to go to bed until 11 or midnight just because I treasure the alone time so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same body fat analyzer! I agree, it may not be 100% accurate but it's somewhere to start.

    YEAH we totally need to talk about meeting up after doing Ft. Collins this year!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the first thing on your list you've learned... I'm still working on this one. He ALWAYS is better and it's so darn frustrating! :)

    ReplyDelete