Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Strength Training?

I have been arguing with myself for the last few week about strength training and I could use some help.

Curently I strength train once a week by taking a one hour "BodyPump" class at the gym. Les Mills desceibes the class as:

"BODYPUMP™ is the original barbell class that strengthens your entire body. This 60-minute workout challenges all your major muscle groups by using the best weight-room exercises like squats, presses, lifts and curls. Great music, awesome instructors and your choice of weight inspire you to get the results you came for – and fast! Like all the LES MILLS™ programs, a new BODYPUMP™ class is released every three months with new music and choreography."

I like the class but sometime I get so sore that I end up skipping other swim, bike, run workouts. I have a VERY weak upper body, proof:I have read that strength training is important in training and I do believe that it helps me avoid injury.

So here are my questions:
  1. Should I continue with the class even if it makes me very sore?
  2. Is it worth it to do the class even if I go light on weights to avoid being sore?
  3. Is once a week enough, or should I be lifting 2 or 3 times a week?

Mainly I am trying to decided if I should continue with the class or do my own shorter routine a couple of times a week.

Any advice? Happy Humpday!


6 comments:

  1. Try doing the class with embarrassingly light weights to see if you can do it without getting sore. I lift higher reps and light weights so I'm not too sore to do anothe workout. Also - lifting more than once a week will probably get you to the point where you are not so sore after. I try to get 2x per week in but I admit if I blow off something it's usually teh lift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also doing a HIM in June. Right now I'm doing strength 1x/wk and plyos 1x. Lighter weights, more reps. You need the strength, but shouldn't be cutting workouts because it's making you too sore. If anything, get in the pool and swim easy to loosen up. Glad to have found your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved body pump when I lived in a bigger city! How do you fit in all your training for tri's and weight train?!! Amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also a HIM in June. And this week I will be lucky to get in a full strength training session. My trainer last year said that I really need 2x a week, even 30 minutes a peice. Might be more advantageous to pay a trainer just once to help you develop a quick circuit routine that can be done around the gym (and feel free to post that for those of us that need the same thing :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kind of agree with what's already been said. If it's making you too sore to do your swim, bike, run workouts, then that's kind of defeating the purpose. I would definitely suggest doing some sort of strength training at least 2 times a week. That way, your body will get used to the workouts and you'll be less likely to get really sore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you'll end up getting used to it and not being so sore. I loved Body Pump. We were just talking about this at book club tonight.

    ReplyDelete