Monday, December 5, 2011

Healthy Clam Chowder Recipe

Last week Big Daddy Diesel asked for my Healthy Clam Chowder Recipe. So here it is BDD, let me know if you try it. I am going to make it tonight!

I found this recipe here and adjusted it slightly:

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups reduced-fat (1%) milk
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
3 6 ounce cans minced clams
1 pound small red-skinned potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 cups frozen corn, thawed
1 teaspoon low-sodium Old Bay seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Tossed salad, crusty bread (optional)

Directions
1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; add onion and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in wine and cook 1 minute; sprinkle in flour and cook 1 minute.
2. Gradually stir in milk and chicken broth. Drain liquid from clams into measuring cup. Add 1 cup of the clam juice to the pot and reserve the clams. Add potatoes, cover and simmer 30 minutes or until potatoes are fully cooked.
3. Add reserved clams, corn, Old Bay, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer to heat through. Turn off heat and stir in parsley.
4. Serve with tossed salad and crusty bread, if desired

There are approx. 4 servings with 350 calories in each

2 comments:

  1. Oh I think I will have to try this one! Thanks for sharing and thanks BDD for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woooooooooooo!!!! I have 90% of this at home, didnt think it was this simple, I am adding it to my recipe to try list, it will be soon, its getting freaking cold here.

    Thanks for posting it!!!!

    ReplyDelete