Sunday, February 24, 2013

Cabin Fever

On the plan for today was an 11 mile run, nothing too out of the ordinary and one of my favorite workouts of the week. I always look forward to weekend workouts because they usually have long endurance workouts planned and those are my favorite. This weekend called for a 3.5 hour ride on Saturday and an 11 mile run on Sunday with 8 miles specifically at marathon (not IM marathon) pace. But with temps not rising above 45 degrees lots of wind and a snow storm blowing in I accepted that I probably wouldn't be riding outside, I assumed that I would be running outside since I do love running in the snow. But things didn't play out as I thought they might. Here is how things have gone down so far:

Saturday: knowing that I would be riding indoors (harrumph) I thought I would take this opportunity to add a swim in to make it a swim bike brick. I can't do this well in the winter unless I am rinding inside because it takes an hour to dry my 5 lbs of hair and I refuse to ride outside in the winter with wet hair so that kind of defeats the purpose of the brick. Anyway the 2200 meters of swimming went well even though my gyms pool was way too hot and murky (YUCK) then it was a quick change and into the spin room for 90 minutes. After sweating my way through class I hurried home to finish up with two hours on the trainer. I hopped on my bike clipped in and got ready to watch a movie while spinning away all of a sudden I felt my bike lurch to the left. Next thing I knew I was on the ground still clipped into my bike. My first thought was thank god I didn't land on any of our dogs, the second was oh-god, my bike! I live in fear of cracking my carbon frame. After Cory's slight freak out that I might be injured we checked out my bike and things looked fine, not a scratch. Looks like I dodged a bullet and was left with just a scuffed knee. But my $15 garage sale trainer was not going to be so lucky, I was not going to be getting back on that thing if it was going to buck me off like that. It was most likely that I didn't have the correct skewer in it but I was done with big red, RIP. I called my ride done for the day, I wanted to baby my knee that has been giving me some trouble and I had just landed on it. So the 3.5 hr ride was shortened to an hour swim and a 1.5 hour ride....hmmmm....shrug, it's still early season right?!!?  The silver lining to this story is that while out running errands we dropped by our favorite bike shop, Tri Bella, and picked up a Kinetic Road Machine Trainer for a great deal.
[Source]


Sunday: woke up to just a couple of inches of snow, this would normally this wouldn't be a problem but with the snow coming down quickly and the wind was blowing making for very poor visibility. So poor in fact that it would be miserable to run outside and dangerous to drive to the gym. Guess today's 11 miler isn't in the cards. So what can I do at home? Try out the new trainer! So I will get that two hours I missed yesterday and hope to get my long run in tomorrow. Hopefully we will be able to get out tomorrow it's still snowing!
Mom, it's COLD!!!
Anyone else dealing with changing plans this weekend?

4 comments:

  1. Yes - I started feeling sick Friday night so my long run & bikes were cancelled - I'm so bummed out, I know how you feel!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I HATE being sick, but good for you for skipping next week you will forget that you missed them and will be happy to not be sick anymore! Feel better soon.

      Delete
  2. I have no choice but to train indoors where I live, but I already know that and the mind frame is already set for this. This week is my recover week and next week is Base2 for me

    Glad your ok

    I like your new trainer

    ReplyDelete