Monday, February 13, 2012

Back to Our Regularly Scheduled Programming

It's been a while since I have updated, whoops, many things are to blame. Work, family and sickness got in the way but I am ready to get back to regularly scheduled programing.

I would love to say that while my blog has been quite that I have been hitting all of my workouts. Sadly that is not the case, I caught a terrible head cold that without rest turned into an even worse chest cold. I pushed through with training while most of my symptoms were in my head but when it moved to my lungs I couldn't do anything without horrible coughing fits. I ended up having to take a full four days off training. While I know that it's not the end of the world, I don't feel great about it and those four days were torture. I have been back at training since last Wednesday, with lots of biking, some running and a little swimming. I am still a little under the weather but am back at it full steam. My hope is to get all my workouts in as planned this week and race well on Saturday at my 10 miler.

My general plan to get over colds is always the same and includes:

  • Get at least 8 hours of sleep
  • Drink 96+ oz of water a day
  • Take vitamins and drink Emergen-C
  • Drink green tea
  • Eat whole healthy foods


What are you go to strategies to get over colds? I would love to hear your list!

Week 15 of IM CDA looks like this:

Monday Rest day
Tuesday am: 8 mile Interval Run
pm: 3050 yd swim (how romantic....)
Wednesday am: 75 min spin class
pm: 60 min pilates
Thursday am: 7 mile steady state run
pm: 2900 yd swim
Friday am: 90 min spin
pm: strength training or yoga
Saturday 10 mile race with 2 mile warm up and 2 mile cool down
pm: 2.4 mile swim
Sunday double brick: Bike 25 miles with a short transition to running 2 miles. Repeat twice, maintaining high level of effort.
pm: strength training

Weekly Totals:

Swim: 6.2 miles 3.5 hours
Bike: 100 miles 6 hours
Run: 31 miles 5 hours
Strength or yoga 3 hours

137.2 miles and 17.5 hours

Did you notice the romantic valentines day spent on the treadmill and in the pool? What are your plans?

3 comments:

  1. No valentines plans. I am just going to workout like you. I hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are feeling 100% again and that the race went well today! Getting a cold this time of year definitely knocks you out and you were smart to let your body recover.

    I'm slightly jealous of the training and then I think about how fast CdA is coming and just smile. You are doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind of strength training do you do? I"m struggling with this. I try to get in 1-2 15/20 min upper body (ie pushups) and core workouts and then a hour yoga class each week, but even this is hard for me to fit in with all the biking/running/swimming! I wonder what kind of lower body exercises other people training for Ironman are doing.

    ReplyDelete